Birthmark Removal & Treatment in Toronto
Lovely and clean space, came in for skin tag removals, everything went well, my practitioner was very attentive & informative.
- Kateryna Topol
What Are Birthmarks?
A Birthmark is any mark, bump, or spot that is present during or shortly after birth on the skin of an infant. A birthmark is common, and rarely is it a sign of any underlying disorder. However, most of these birthmarks are not aesthetically desirable. That’s why at Lumiskins, we offer you a way to remove them safely.
What Causes Birthmarks?
The reason behind the formation of birthmarks is unknown in most cases. However, its theorized that most birthmarks are caused by defective migrating cells in the early stages of fetal growth. These cells end up at the wrong location, multiply, and produce tissue with similar features as those cell types.
Genetics – Birthmarks can be inherited. This is rare, but some marks may look similar to others in the same family.
Mutation – Birthmarks, in infrequent occurrences, can be symptoms of rare conditions caused by gene mutations. For example, a rare disorder called Klippel-Trenaunay-Weber Syndrome causes port-wine stains in infants. Another rare underlying genetic disorder that may be the cause of port-wine-stains is Sturge-Weber syndrome.
Types Of Birthmarks
There are two main categories of birthmarks, depending on the underlying cause. These are:
1) Vascular Birthmarks – this are caused by the malformation of blood vessels in a particular part of your skin. For example, clustering of many blood vessels in one area or widening of blood vessels in one specific area. Vascular birthmarks include:
- Salmon patch– This is also known as stork bite or macular stain. They are common in more than half of all infants but tend to disappear within the first twelve months. The salmon patch is usually flat (no thickening of the skin), irregular in shape, and pink in color.
- Port-wine stains – This type of birthmarks form due to the malformation of capillary vessels. They may be large or small depending on the area affected. They are usually flat in appearance and purple or pink during birth but get darker (red-purple) and may start thickening and become lumpier during or after adolescence.
- Strawberry mark – This mark is also known as Haemangioma of infancy. It’s usually raised, lumpy, and red. They appear from around the age of one to four weeks, grow spontaneously for a few months, stop growing, and then slowly start disappearing over the next few years of their lives.
2) Pigmented birthmarks – they are formed due to the accumulation of melanocytes (Pigment cells) on one site. Pigmented birthmarks include:
- Café au lait spots – This is French, which translates to “coffee with milk.” They are almost oval in shape and pale brown in color. They may be present during birth or may appear shortly after birth. They do not disappear with age.
- Moles (Melanocytic nevi) – Moles can be congenital (present at birth) or acquired from the age of two years. They can be brown, dark brown, black, or blue. Some are lumpy while others are flat.
- Mongolian blue spots – African and Asian kids are predisposed to these spots because of their darker skin. The Mongolian spots are bluish, flat, irregularly shaped patches. As the child gets older, these spots tend to disappear.
Birthmark Removal Methods
Although most birthmarks are no threat to your health, they are usually removed for aesthetic reasons. At Lumiskins, we offer you the safest, fastest, and most affordable ways to remove your birthmarks and increase your overall appeal.
During your appointment, our cosmetologist examines your birthmark(s), and depending on its type and features, the most suitable removal method is determined.
Electrocautery involves passing direct or intermittent current through a resistant metal wire electrode to produce heat. The heated metal rod is then used to heat the target site to burn and destroy the intended tissue without causing damage to healthy tissue.
This method is used to remove protruding/ raised birthmarks such as mole (nevus)
IPL (Intense Pulsed Light)
This involves the use of short bursts of high-intensity light to treat birthmarks. It’s useful for treating flat birthmarks caused by pigmentation or blood vessels. The light emitted through IPL therapy slowly destroys the tissue causing the birthmark and finally eliminates it.
Lumiskins Botox Vaughan treatment is successful because of our team of expert professionals working together for the most satisfying & safe results.
Just like with IPL, Laser therapy uses light to treat birthmarks. However, instead of using light with many varying wavelengths like IPL, it uses one specific wavelength of light to destroy the intended tissue. The ND:YAG laser is used at Lumiskins for optimal results.
Benefits of Birthmark Removal
- Improves your aesthetics by eliminating the existing blemishes
- Increases self-confidence and self-esteem
- Birthmark removal averts diseases such as cancerous growths caused by moles
Birthmark Removal Frequently Asked Questions
What do the birthmark removal procedures do?
The birthmark removal procedures that we utilize at Lumiskins target the tissue responsible for the resulting birthmark. This tissue is either cut (in moles) or destroyed (flat birthmark) and eliminated through your body’s immune responses.
Contact us to learn the details involved in each of our birthmark removal procedures.
What is the duration of the results?
The birthmark removal procedures destroy all the tissue responsible for the birthmark. This means that there is no chance the birthmark will recur since the causative agent has been eliminated.
How long is the birthmark removal procedure?
The type and extent of your birthmarks determine the length of the procedure. The removal procedure used also determines how long the whole process will take.
Book your appointment today, and begin your birthmark removal procedure.
How much time do I need to take off work?
Our birthmark removal procedures are noninvasive. This means that you can have your birthmark removal procedure and get back to work immediately. The only time you’ll need off work is during the appointments with Lumiskins.
How long after birthmark removal can I exercise?
Unless your treatment directly affects your ability to exercise, you should be able to get back to your regular exercise the day after the procedure. However, if the site treated is sensitive, you should wait till you fully recover before getting back to your exercise schedule. This may take up to ten days.
You will also need to keep the treated areas away from sunlight for a few weeks. A Sunscreen, of SPF40+, should also be applied for a few months.
Who We Are
We Offer you a wide range of beauty treatments
What Clients Says