What is Botox
Botox is a treatment that contains a naturally occurring protein, the OnabotulinumtoxinA. This is a toxin produced by the bacterium clostridium botulinum, and it causes botulism, a severe type of food poisoning. Yes, you read that right. Botox is obtained from a dangerous toxin, but thanks to modern technology, it can be purified to treat certain conditions including cervical dystonia (severe neck and shoulder muscle contractions), incontinence, excessive sweating, and chronic migraine among other conditions. Apart from its medical applications, Botox plays a significant role in the cosmetic industry. Lumiskins furnishes the best treatment of Botox in Vaughan, Ontario with reliability and comfort.
How Does Botox Injection Work?
Botox injections work by creating a temporary paralytic effect to the muscles or nerves around the injected areas. In other terms, the injections block certain chemical signals from nerves to prevent muscles, glands, or other parts of the body from performing specific tasks.
For Botox to work as required, it should be administered precisely to the target area by a certified professional. At Lumiskins, we have an expert dermatologist capable of performing specific cosmetic procedures using Botox injections in Vaughan.
Cosmetic Uses of Botox
Botox is used for cosmetic purposes to treat facial lines or wrinkles caused by frowning, squinting, and other facial muscular contractions. These lines can also be caused by UV exposure, loss of collagen, and other factors that damage or weaken the skin. Botox treatments for eyebrows and lips are sought after in Vaughan, adding a touch of refinement to one’s appearance. Botox creates a paralytic effect that prevents muscular contractions in target areas, reducing or eliminating wrinkles/ fine lines.
- Glabellar Lines – These are frown lines, otherwise known as “elevens,” that appear between your eyebrows when you frown or concentrate. Botox is injected into the muscles that cause glabella lines (procerus and corrugator muscles) to prevent contraction, eliminating these lines. One advantage of Botox for eyebrows is that it can help achieve a more youthful and lifted appearance by smoothing out wrinkles and reducing the appearance of sagging skin.
- Crow’s Feet – These are deep and pronounced lines that stretch out from the corner of the eyes, forming what resembles the feet of a crow. Botox can be injected into the orbicularis oculi, i.e., the muscles at the sides of the eyes, to prevent crow’s feet from forming. This improves your aesthetics.
- Bunny Lines – these are wrinkles that form on either side of the nose when you laugh or smile. These lines can be softened by injecting the required doses of Botox into the muscles around your nose.
- Gummy Smile – This is when your smile shows excessive gum tissue above the upper teeth. In medical terms, this condition is known as the excessive gingival display. To reduce gummy smiles, Botox can be injected into the elevator muscles to create temporary paralysis. This improves your smile.
- Neck Bands– These are pronounced bands of hyperactive neck muscles. They can cause wrinkles and necklines, which are not aesthetically suitable for most people. Botox can be used to relax these muscles and make them less visible. By relaxing the muscles, wrinkles and necklines are also softened.
- Smokers Lines – these are fine vertical lines that form on top of your upper lips, due to repetitive puckering of the lips when smoking. Botox can help eliminate these lines by preventing muscle contractions. Botox for lips can provide several advantages, including enhancing lip volume, reducing the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles, and creating a more defined and youthful lip contour.
What to Expect During Botox Treatments
Botox is a non-invasive procedure used to treat certain conditions and fine lines by blocking nerve signals and preventing muscular contractions. The injections should be administered by expert practitioners for precision, and to create the desired effects on specific areas.
During the Botox treatment, our Lumiskins expert might numb the target areas using topical anesthesia to make the Botox procedure more comfortable. After numbing the target area, the specialist uses a thin needle to administer Botox around the target area. The treatment session does not take long as the procedure is non-invasive.
After the procedure, one may experience slight pain, swelling, or bruising around the treated area. These symptoms subside after about 2-days. The treated area should not be rubbed or massaged for 24 hours after treatment to prevent the spread of the toxin to different regions.
If you’re on any medication, notify your specialist before the procedure.
Botox Treatment Frequently Asked Questions
How Long Does the Botox Procedure Take?
Botox injections are administered in about 10 minutes. The actual time taken depends on the areas being treated and the severity of the condition.
How Does Botox Work?
Botox contains a toxin called botulinum toxin. This toxin is injected precisely into specific muscles to temporarily reduce contraction, eliminating fine lines such as crow’s feet and frown lines. Botox should be injected by a certified specialist to achieve the desired effects.
How Long Do Botox Treatment Results Last?
After injection, noticeable results can be seen in 24 to 48 hours. Depending on the patient and the severity of the condition being treated, acquired results may last up to four months. Talk with our specialist to schedule your repeat injections as soon as the obtained results start to diminish.
How Long Is the Recovery Time After Botox Treatment?
Botox treatment is non-invasive and has minimal downtime. One can return to their regular routine immediately after treatment. It’s good to note that the treated area might get sore for a day or two after treatment.